When was the last time you stopped to think about and acknowledged your achievements and successes in business and in life? How would you like to be able to stay focused and motivate yourself throughout the year, especially during challenging times?
Acknowledging Your Successes
The start of the year is a great time to assess how much you have achieved in the past year and what you could do differently to achieve far greater success in the year ahead. By regularly giving yourself a pat on the back, you will find your motivation levels increase and you will have greater drive and determination to succeed in the face of any challenges.
Below are some quality questions you can ask yourself to give yourself feedback on the past year and to assess what you need to do differently this year. Remember that the definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over again and expecting a different result. So if you are seeking better success in your business this year than last year, you will need to make some changes or improvements to what you have been doing to date.
Your Self Assessment
Firstly, think about the goals and objectives that you set for your business last year, whether to start or to grow your business. How would you rate your overall performance (out of 10) versus your business goals and objectives in the last year? Rate each one separately and then for each one, ask yourself the following questions:
- What have been your biggest successes in the past year?
- What could you have done better, differently or improved?
Read this next: Dealing with Pessimists in Business
Next consider the following:
- What have you been putting off doing in your business? Make a list of all the things you have been putting off doing in the past year (and putting off writing this list will just keep you where you are now or worse off!). Next to each item, write down how much your procrastination has cost you in terms of customer relationships, staff performance, repeat business, money, time, energy, focus, fulfillment, etc.
- Is there anything that you could stop doing altogether that would either have a neutral or positive impact on your business?
- Is there anything that you could start doing that would have a positive impact on your business?
- What challenges did you experience last year and how effectively did you deal with them?
- What could you have done differently, better or improved to deal with the challenges more effectively?
- What are the major positive things that you have learnt from the above challenges in the past year?
Most importantly, think about:
- To what extent has your business assisted you to achieve your life goals and desired lifestyle in the past year? Consider all areas of your life including the impact of your business on: your relationship with your partner and family, your health, quality of sleep, energy levels, time for you, self development, finances, etc.
- To what extent has your business had an adverse impact on your life goals and lifestyle? Again, consider the impact of your business on all areas of your life.
- What are you going to do differently in the year ahead to address the above so that you can positively move towards your desired lifestyle?
Once you review the above answers, decide your top 5 priorities for your business and life in the year ahead. Choose the strategies and actions that will make the biggest positive difference to your business and life in the coming year.
Next, set a goal for each of these strategies/actions. Make sure that your goals are specific, realistic, measurable and have a specific date by which you would like to achieve them. You may wish to stagger the dates so that you can focus on two goals at a time, take sufficient action towards each one and, therefore, achieve them faster. Then for each of your goals, put together a simple action plan of the key steps you need to take to achieve each goal, together with a date next to each step. Taking baby steps each day or week will reduce overwhelm and will have you achieving your goals before you know it.
It is important to regularly review how you are tracking versus your goals. This will assist you to change or improve on what you are doing along the way, rather than waiting until another year has passed and then wishing that you had changed things sooner. By regularly reviewing your performance, you will stay focused and motivated and will be better placed to deal with any challenges, rather than being side tracked by them. Just imagine how much faster you could achieve success this year by regularly learning from any challenges, acknowledging your successes and proactively taking action towards achieving your goals!
Dr. Vesna is an author, sought after speaker, and empowers aspiring and existing business owners to achieve exceptional success. For more techniques on mastering business success and for your FREE gifts, visit www.qttransformation.com and empower yourself today.