Starting out as a freelance writer can be hard and unrewarding, although keep at it because once you have established yourself as a quality writer you will soon be earning a steady income as a writer and will be able to be your own boss. Getting your first job is one of the hardest things a freelance writer can do but once you have a job it soon becomes another one. There are many freelance writer jobs out there but making yourself attractive to them so you are recruited is a challenge. These tips will help set you apart from the competition and will help to make sure that you are recruited for the job.
- Highlight your English ability – When you are applying for writing jobs online, you are competing in a global market against millions of fellow writers, for many English is a second language. If you are a native speaker, make sure you highlight the fact that you are and that you have qualifications within English. If you are a non-native speaker point out what qualifications you hold in English language and make sure you make it clear that you are a competent English language user.
- Don’t be too picky – Your first job is the hardest one to get, don’t be too picky about what it is. Many online writers restrict themselves to one subject or topic such as animals or internet marketing, while this is a great idea when you have experience it’s a terrible idea if you don’t have experience writing online. Take any job that is offered to you and you will quickly be able to earn experience which you can apply in your subject.
- Charge less – You are competing against millions of people online. If you lack experience in writing the easiest way to compete is to lower you price. If you are starting out, charging a small amount can be a great way to get a lot of work to earn experience and clients. If you are charging less make sure you get feedback from your clients and a testimonial, this will help you to earn higher paying work in the future.
- Search around – People from all over the world are looking for freelance writer for hire. There are so many websites where you can find quality jobs and clients, the more you look the more jobs you will find. Like in sales, it’s a numbers game – the more jobs you apply for the more jobs you will get. Try to get as many people interested in the services you offer as possible it will help you to get new jobs.
- Spend time on your profile – Your profile is your online resume, if it is not good you wont get work.
Getting started as a freelance writer can be tough but following these tips will make it much easier. Spend as much time as possible as you can on your profile and applying for jobs, the more time you invest in this the more dividends you will receive as a result.