This tissue can be placed under so intense pressure that it ruptures the annulus. When the disc is ruptured or herniated, it creates pressure against one or more spinal nerves which results in weakness, pain or numbness in the arm and neck.
Herniated facts you must know
- Discs are kind of pads that act as cushions between the vertebral bodies, which reduce the impact of movement on the spinal column.
- Each disc is like a jelly donut comprising of nucleus pulposus, a central softer component.
- Unusual rupture of the central portion of the disc is known as disc herniation.
- A herniated disc commonly occurs in the disc at the level between the fourth and fifth lumbar vertebraein the lower back.
- If the disc herniation is huge, the disc tissue presses on the adjacent spinal nerves that leave the spine at the level of the disc herniation.
- To diagnose the issue, imaging tests, physical examination and electrical tests are conducted.
Patients are suggested to take rest and avoid reinjuring the disc. A variety of surgical approaches are offered at herniated disc treatment Greenville. Microdisectomy with small surgical instruments and open surgical repair comes under the surgical options. In case, cauda equine syndrome is there, urgent operation is necessary.
Some home remedies
- You may not believe but home remedies are very helpful in relieving the disc pain. Using over-the-counter nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs reduces the pain to a great extent.
- Heat and ice therapy can also be used to lower down the problem and discomfort.
- Building and maintaining strength in the abdominal and back muscles not only prevents but also treats chronic back issues.
- Walking, yoga and physical therapy are also beneficial.
- Simple stretching done slowly and carefully can also help.
If you are dealing with this unfortunate experience, take medical assistance from herniated disc treatment Cary. Get started today and live a painless life.