The digestion of food is carried out by a number of organs and takes place according to a step by step process. The food that is masticated in the mouth begins the process of digestion which is then continued in the stomach. The absorption of nutrients from the digested food occurs in the intestines and the undigested portion is excreted by the body. This unidirectional process of digestion is disrupted by the occurrence of acid reflux.
Habits that result in acid reflux
Acid reflux can cause a lot of uneasiness which can be associated with pain and soreness. The interior lining of the esophagus is also affected by the reverse movement of churned food from the stomach. It is apparent that Foods Cause Acid Reflux Symptoms but some actions or habits can also trigger acid reflux. Some of these are enlisted below:
· Obesity can affect the metabolism of one’s body and can cause acid reflux.
· Drinks that contain caffeine, carbonated beverages and alcohol are known to cause acid reflux.
· Overeating can lead to acid reflux because it creates pressure on the stomach.
· Resting in a supine position immediately after having a hearty meal can cause the stomach contents to escape into the esophagus.
· Smoking cigarettes is another contributing factor that causes acid reflux.
· Eating snacks after dinner or just before going to sleep will cause problems in digestion and result in an acid reflux.
However there are some other issues which can also lead to acid reflux, for instance during pregnancy women become more susceptible to acid reflux problems. The intake of a few medicines can also interfere with the normal process of digestion thereby causing an acid reflux like blood pressure medicines or painkillers.
Food products which generally causes acid reflux
Acid reflux is caused due to the stomach’s inability to digest the masticated food which causes the contents of the stomach to be forced into the esophagus instead of flowing into the small intestine for further digestion and subsequent absorption. The typical list of food items that can potentially cause acid refluxes include:
· Citrus fruits like lemons, oranges, tomatoes. These are naturally acidic so if acid reflux is a problem it is better to avoid citrus items.
· Chocolate is made from cocoa and its consumption releases serotonin which relaxes the lower esophageal sphincter thereby allowing the acidic contents to flow back.
· Garlic and onions are considered to worsen the problem for individuals who suffer from heartburn often so it is enlisted under the avoidable food items.
· Spicy or foods which are rich in fat content usually gives the stomach a hard time during the digestion process and individuals have often reported to suffer from acid reflux after the consumption of such food products.
The list of Foods the Cause Acid Reflux should definitely be avoided by individuals who are chronically suffering from heartburn or other ailments related to the digestive tract.