According to experts, crepey neck usually occurs as a result of the natural aging process and its effects can be greater if it is in your genes. Thus if either of your parents or any other family member suffered this problem, it’s likely that you will as well. Admittedly other factors such as drastic weight fluctuations, prolonged exposure from the ultraviolet rays of the sun, cigarette smoke, side sleeping, a diet high in sugar and gravity also result in crepey neck, the chief culprit still remains age.
As you age, a reduction of collagen and elastin – proteins that enable the skin around the neck to stretch and contract, results in less support for the skin in the neck and thus, sagging occurs in that area. As you enter your 30s and 40s the quantum of protein your body produces begins to dwindle and consequently, your skin in your neck becomes thinner and more likely to sag
Crepey neck is a common occurrence which affects a lot of people but the good news is that like most unwanted skin conditions, it can be prevented and in some cases avoided altogether. Taking the right preventive measures can help to drastically reduce the chances of you developing crepey neck.
How to prevent crepey neck – As has been stated earlier, although the development of crepey neck occurs as a result of the aging process there are some steps that can be taken to prevent it. These steps include cleansing the skin around the neck properly just like you do to your face to prevent pimples and other blemishes, avoiding prolonged periods in the sun and properly moisturizing the skin around the neck. An effective rule of thumb is to treat the skin around your neck with the same care as you do your face. Other steps that can be taken in this regard include:
· Adequate Hydration: Crepey neck can be avoided by drinking a lot of water daily.
· Proper skin care: Ensure that the skin around the neck is kept clean but do not overdo it as doing so may result in the stripping of essential oils and layers of the skin which can result in more thinning.
· Sunscreen: Applying an effective sunscreen around your neck before exposing yourself to UV rays for prolonged periods can help prevent crepey neck.
· Vitamins: Vitamin C is a rich source of antioxidants which encourages cell rejuvenation. Other vitamins such as vitamins E and A are also useful in this regard.
Treatment for crepey neck – If you already have crepey neck there are some measures that can be taken to get rid of it. These measures range from the simple and natural to the complicated and surgical. Some of the simple and natural remedies include:
· Neck exercises: Neck exercises help to strengthen the muscles beneath the skin of the neck making it tighten and become less crepe. Other natural treatments that can help cure crepey neck are
· Regularly Applying a mixture of tomato and cucumber to the neck.
· Applying mashed up avocado pear around the neck.
The non-natural remedies consist mainly of;
· Surgery or Injections: Surgery is often an effective way to treat crepey neck but it is usually very expensive and comes with the risks associated with going under the knife.
Collagen injections, on the other hand, are the safest way between the two options to treat crepey neck, collagen being a natural substance. However, like surgery the injections are very expensive.